Thursday, April 1, 2010

Village People


While I do have a slight obsession with the YMCA, that is not the village to which I refer. Lately, I have developed at rather strong affection for Hillsboro Village, a lovely little subsection of Nashville proper. I have frequented that part of town for a number of years, since it is home to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. However, a twelve hour shift with a 30 minute lunch break does not allow for much in the way of neighborhood exploration. Since Wesley started going to school at Eakin Elementary, the Village and I have had a chance to become better acquainted. I think we have a future together. There is a seamless mixture of hip stores and restaurants with semi-historic establishments, ripe with character. Add to that the stark contrast of city life in the midst of urban homey-ness, and you have something rather magical, if you ask me. Yesterday I took a few pictures while jogging through the area in question. Upon seeing them, I feel certain you could fall in love along with me.
Yummy lunch (handmade pizza with figs and goat cheese) at Fido, one of my favorite coffee shops
Local home with a swing where the kids play after school
The Clothing Xchange, full of second hand treasures
The dragon at "Dragon Park"
(which is actually a sea serpent at Fannie Mae Dees Park :))
The Belcourt Theater, my current favorite Nashville concert venue due largely to general admission. I have seen Jennifer Knapp, Ingrid Michaelson, and Brandi Carlile grace its stage.
Eakin Elementary, the site of Wesley's primary education

2 comments:

Nanette R. said...

Hillsboro Village has been a fave of mine since my college days at Belmont. If I was given the chance to live over there, I'd move in a nanosecond!

betsy said...

maybe you guys should move over here! i hope i get to see more of you now that kyle will be at the same school as wesley! we REALLY need to hangout!