Saturday, May 23, 2009

Infestation Station

When we moved into our house two and a half years ago, Marc found a cute little field mouse in our garage. It was trapped in an empty trash can, and after showing it to Wesley and I, Marc let it go as we smiled and watched it scurry away. And that was just the beginning.....

Months later, I heard some strange noises while I was doing laundry--scratching...and chirping? After a few more loads, I was sure of it. Marc brought out the ladder and removed the beginnings of a nest from our dryer vent. Somehow, those bird brains had managed to fly in through the movable slats of the vent. And the were committed. Despite our initial delusions of victory, the scratching, flapping and chirping returned about a week later. Again Marc dragged the ladder to the entry point, but this time he found a completed nest with 5 eggs. Yet another science lesson before we made a trip to Home Depot for a new and improved (and bird-proof) grate for the vent.

If you have read my blog before, you may remember my encounter with a mouse in the house! I won't replay the details, more for the sake of my post traumatic stress than your boredom.

After Marc left, I rediscovered the mouse in the garage. Not the same one, perhaps, but just as terrifying. My aunt helped me set some traps and put out poison. Concurrently, I had tiny black ants around my sink and wasps in my attic. Although I was ready to throw in the towel, I pulled out the arsenal instead....

If this doesn't work, I may have to move.

No comments: